Sunday, October 12, 2008

Days Two and Three

So on Friday I went back for more mapping and tweaking. I asked Andrea (my audiologist) for some more juice, I just didn't think it was loud enough for me. Everything sounded like TTY tones or metallic garble. It was strange. So she upped my power a little bit and did some more tests and calibrations on me and then sent me to the sound proof booth for a little audio gram. Well before my implant I was at the 90 decibel range in both ears. This time I was up in the 30-40 decibel range. WOW what an improvement. I was excited. She did some sentences and things with me and I am able to answer her back even though sometimes I need her to repeat them a few times. I cant tell if I am hearing all the words or just picking up bits and pieces and doing the rest myself. Its still better than before. I am really happy with the CI so far. Its a bit heavy on my ear by the end of the day and dang does it make me tired trying to put all this stuff together. On a plus side I was FINALLY able to listen to Jimi Hendrix yesterday enough to get "All Along the Watchtower" out of my head where its been stuck for about 3 months. I could recognize the guitar part which was sweet. I found some online listening exercises that I am downloading to my brand new fourth generation electric blue iPod (thanks mom). I am dying to try the thing out. It came on my activation day. I also drained my first battery last night on the CI after about 13 hours of listening on the second loudest and loudest programs I have. I don't like the first one, its just too soft. So next Friday I am going to see about juicing it up again. That's about all that is happening here. Still cant do the phone yet, but more and more of it comes back each day and hour I wear the thing. I am glad I had it done. Now I want the other ear.... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try the iPod out??? I had to fight to keep you from jacking in the first day! My sister doesn't call you Johnny Mnemonic for nothing. I'll put some Static in Your Attic, mister. LOL Keep up the good work. It's a wonder to see you doing so well.
Love you.
M

Lisa said...

I'm so excited for you, my Irish CI twin. We were implanted and activated on the same dates. Sounds like we're having similar hearing results so far, too. I've got mixed emotions, as well. So grateful to be hearing again, but remembering what these sounds should be like and realizing I'm not there yet. And also feeling a bit imbalanced by hearing in only one ear, when it should be two. My audiologist is encouraging me to go ahead with the other ear a.s.a.p. since I'm doing so well with this one. Got the go-ahead from my medical coverage, so we'll see how this goes. Keep up the good work and enjoy your world!