Thursday, October 9, 2008

Activation Day

Ok so today was the big day. I was very excited and frankly I was sick of waiting for it. One reason I haven't posted anything is because nothing has really been going on. Its been quiet here. So anyway, I go to the doctors this morning and I am really looking forward to getting the implant turned on. My audiologist told me that she had to run some tests and that I probably wont hear anything while she does it, but when she started, I heard it. It was really weird, it was like way inside my head and it was just a pulsing. So after she runs the diagnostics she turns the implant on and I could hear her typing on the computer!  I wont say it sounded like normal hearing but I could tell what she was doing. I could hear plastic rattle around and all. I was excited. So she started making the sounds like ' ooo ' and  'shhh' and stuff like that and I could nail every one of them and tell her what they were. She read some words off to me and even if I had to get her to say it more than once I was getting it. Now like I said it doesn't sound normal, it has a metallic ring to it and I still feel like I am hearing through some static but damn it I am hearing something! In noise and stuff, still just ok, and I still find myself lip reading a little bit. Oh and when we left Hopkins I heard a helicopter and it scared the hell out of me. I hear little things like my footsteps and water running. Its all pretty cool. I was able to pick out a song on the radio and another on a store sound system. No iPod yet though, the audie told me to wait a few weeks, which is a shame because my brand new Nano came in the mail today! GRRRR I will wait though. That's about it I am heading back tomorrow to get this thing tweaked a little more and all, hopefully have an update again tomorrow. Hope everyone is well!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this not the best thing EVER? I'm so happy. I love you, baby.
Michael

Anonymous said...

YEA!!! that rocks can I call you then I hate txting. we are so proud of you Jay. Hope it all goes well.
Bill

Abbie said...

Wow, you had an AWESOME activation. I heard nothing like that at activation and I almost had a helicopter land right on my head I didn't hear that. I'm amazed :) THings will get better, I'm a year out with my CI and I can hear helicopters now with no problems :)

Keep it up man!