Thursday, September 11, 2008

Surgery Day

Ok so needless to say I couldn't sleep very well the night before all this was supposed to take place and I contribute that to a few factors. First I couldn't eat after midnight, which most of you know I work overnights so midnight is my lunch time so that was out. Second I couldn't drink anything so of course that means that at 12:01 I get thirsty, and third I couldn't smoke. I know why I shouldn't smoke anyway but still with a surgery coming up the only stress reliever smokers have is to light one up. I couldn't do that. BLAH. So pity poor Michael as he had to drive me thirsty, hungry and smokeless to an appointment. So I get to the hospital at around 11 or so and we go check in and wait. Then Father David shows up to give me a blessing and anointing with oil for a good surgery. I really appreciated that, it was very cool. So right after that they take me back to prep me for surgery and I am told I have to strip all the way naked and put two gowns on and that I cant leave my St Therese medal on which made me mad. SO I go through all this and the nurse comes back and they bring Michael along and we fill out some papers. Then a Dr. Stewart, who works with Dr Niparko, comes back to show me my implant. Honestly it looked like I was at Best Buy getting a new iPod. It was all in a box with bar codes and things on it, it was funny. Dr. Tan then had me sign a form telling me what they were going to do and that they might take pictures and things during my surgery since Hopkins is a teaching hospital. Dr Niparko came back next and talked to me for a little bit told me that it should only last about an hour and a half! I was shocked. I thought it would be much much longer. Just talking to this man you can tell he is very smart I felt so comfortable with him and I felt better knowing he was doing my surgery. I was introduced to the anesthetic team next (more on these poor guys in a minute) and then a few nurses. I had my IV put in, went to the bathroom and was on my way to the OR. Keep in mind they took my glasses from me so I am now effectively Helen Keller since I cant see and I cant hear. They take me back to the OR and I lay down and they start hooking up things on me and they give me the oxygen mask and I am watching them then I drift to sleep. Next thing I know I am waking up and damn it I want up NOW! Two nurses had to hold me down and the best part was later when they told me that I had started breathing funny in the OR and they put a tube in my nose and I wanted no parts of it. It took six people to hold me down in there and I was knocked out! I felt bad, they were all so nice to me. So I am awake and I have to pee which is a good sign but when I try to stand up WHOA, I am so so dizzy and sore. They bring Michael back to me and we wait a little bit then they tell me I can go home. They give me some meds (Oxycontin, an antibiotic and a pill to keep me from puking) and a bag of stuff to take with me and we head to Emilio's house to rest. I am so dizzy at this point and I cant really remember too much I do know I have something on my head and I am sore but other than that I am out of it. So next I find out that my anti nausea pills are actually suppositories which I quickly rename into ass candy. Eh its all good though I guess. I take some pain pills take some ass candy and take a nap. I remember waking up to see Fr David and Michael that is about it until about 9 or 10 when I wake back up and decide to eat. After about an hour or two of being up I go back to sleep and effectively wake up about every two hours to pee and then back to sleep. That was it for Day One. Dr Niparko told Michael the surgery was good, he had it all put in where he wanted it at and that it was a very successful implant.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that sounds like quite an ordeal. I am glad that all went well. Sending you lots of love.

Cyborg Queen said...

Interesting surgery experience! :-)

As for the Medal, I know how you feel. It's because they use electrocautry and if you have something metal or anything, it can burn the area that the metal is on. It doesn't always happen as the electrocautry should be grounded, but just on the safe side.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck for your healing and recovery. Hope to see you soon!

Abbie said...

I was not shy about popping those pills either :) I'm glad you came through just fine :)